Mixing colored water using eyedroppers was always a favorite activity of mine when I was a preschool teacher. It is an exciting activity for any age. My 6 year old has been enjoying this activity since he was 2. Now he is showing his 2 year old sister how it’s done. She is learning to use the eyedroppers, but it is also fun for the younger ones to just pour small amounts of water back and forth between a few different containers.
Here’s how we do it……..
We fill our old baby food containers with water. We add a drop or two of yellow to one, a drop of red to one, and a drop of blue to another. Give them several empty containers to transfer the colored water and mix the colors into. We like to use the eyedroppers you get from the pharmacy for free.
What are they getting out of it?
- fine motor- building strength and dexterity in those little hands
- building hand-eye coordination
- experimenting with cause and effect
- observing and predicting
- experience with volume and liquid measurement
- how to make secondary colors…. and more
- self confidence